Sunday, September 7, 2008

Writings

These past few blog entries have reminded me why I started a blog in the first place. I like writing. I have never thought I was very effective as a writer, but I figured practice would make perfect. I have been jotting down ideas I've had about what to write about next. Who knows if any of the ideas will ever be launched into this small space on the internet, but maybe they will.

So, I decided to look back through what I've already written and see if any of it was worth posting. The bulk of my writing was when I was new to the LDS (Mormon) church and is very spiritually oriented. There are two poems I wrote which kinda stand out at the moment. Just an early warning, most of my writing is unusually hopeful. Isn't that what religion should be about? I'm including one of those "The sun'll come out tomorrow..." poems and a goofy one.

Church "Hymns"

I've always wondered why there's only church "hymns."
Isn't it wrong to have no "hers" in them?
It wouldn't be much, just a line here or there,
to balance it out and make it more fair.
I'd even help. I'd pen a few words
so they'd feel wanted as we sing like the birds.
You know, it's amazing what this would do,
not only to hymns, but all the hers too.


Mud

When you're up to your knees in mud and it seems you can't go on,
take another step ahead you'll see it won't be long.

'Till the sun will shine, its light will fill your soul.
Soon the world will dry; look up, you'll see your goal.

There's heaven beyond. Look past this dismal vale.
Let your heart sing out, listen to it's tale.

Though the rains may come and the mud, deeper, may seep,
with every step you'll earn great blessings to reap.

Up to your knees in mud? Heart of pain and despair?
Step ahead, look up, sing out. Trust the sun will be there.