Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A sister for me?


Happy Birthday, Sis!

We have so many stories. Since it's her birthday let me share this one:

My sister and I are 11 months apart. "Irish twins," apparently. I wasn't even a year old when she became a part of my life. Like so many of my stories about my early childhood, I don't remember the events of this one myself. I don't know that we kids were that outrageous prior to gaining our own awareness, or just that parents tend to remember crazy details to hold over you when you get older. What a perfect scenario. Just remember some stories that are impossible for your kids to remember because they are too young, then repeatedly tell them and they have no defense!

So, anyway, the story goes that I was at home when my sister came home from the hospital. As a matter of introduction they set her on the floor with me. I had been playing with some kind of bottle (probably plastic, but who knows), which I promptly used to bump her on the head. My guess is that I had just watched the Knights of King Arthur and was merely christening her into my kingdom. She obviously didn't suffer major brain damage, and you only hurt the ones you love right? Hmm, maybe hurt is a strong word. I'm going with "love tap."

I believe this story has its origins in a picture my Mom took of the two of us together. The next time I have a chance to look at the 'ole photo collection I'll have to do some investigating.

My friend sent me a different kind of survey a while back. Usually you fill out details about yourself to forward onto others. This one had questions you answer about the person who sent it to you. My sister and I exchanged surveys, and these were our responses about this particular incident.

Amy's responses:

1. What is my name? (If you get this wrong you're fired!)Arron

2. Where did we meet? At home - you hit me with a bottle!

3. Take a stab at my middle name:Carl

4. How long have you known me? 31 years, and 2 1/2 months

5. Do I smoke? No

6. What was your first impression of me upon meeting? You were a meanie


My responses:

1. What is my name? (If you get this wrong you're fired!) Amy

2. Where did we meet? At a bottle factory. I saved you from a falling pile of bottles, but unfortunately one escaped and accidentally beaned you in the head.

3. Take a stab at my middle name: Lou, Sue, Lynn

4. How long have you known me? Since you came into this world.

5. Do I smoke? Only when you cook.

6. What was your first impression of me upon meeting? Who let a baby in this bottle factory? She's gonna get beaned by a bottle!