Monday, January 5, 2009

Italy - Part One

For the holidays this year my sister and I planned a trip to Italy. Originally we were going to go on a Mediterranean cruise, but that got scrapped because plane tickets got really expensive. Plan B was 10 days in Rome. I can only wish that all my Plan B's in life can be that cool.

Other than taking off at the front edge of a snow storm to hit the east coast, which delayed us by about 2 hours, the flight over there was pretty uneventful. We did what you're not supposed to do when you arrive in another country with jet lag, took a long nap as soon as we hit the room. Since we didn't sleep on the airplane it was very needed.

We did manage to get dinner at the corner restaurant, and go for a quick walk to see a fountain in the Piazza della Repubblica. I was surprised how many restaurants were named after American places. The place we ate was called Washington Snack Bar. The pizza there was really good. Amy and I aren't used to thin crust. We both preferred it since it's not so fluffy-filling.


We ended the night by grabbing some bananas for breakfast from a street vendor. You can't quite see it in this picture, but some of the fruit vendors sell coconut, which is kept in a small box with water running over it. Unfortunately we never tried any of the coconut. I'm sure that it tastes the same as the stuff in Hawaii though.